Saturday, August 27, 2011

Stephen King and I Agree

I just remembered something. I hated high school. I'm not sure how I managed to forget something like that. Especially when it is easy to recall those feelings born of being on the outside looking in.

Perhaps I forgot because it was so long ago. Maybe. Perhaps it was because I find it easier to recall a few close friends, ones whom made that dreary time in my life brighter. I was blessed in that regard. Other than that, it was a time that begs to be forgotten.

The desire to forget comes easy to one whom enjoys looking forward rather than back. Still, I have my treasured memories, those that simply recollecting can give me the strength to get through a tough day. Truthfully though, very few of them are from high school. Life for me began after.

So, why am I writing this? What jogged my memory? What reminded me of my disenchantment with those days from so long ago?

And what does any of this have to do with Stephen King?

The truth be told, it was the author extraordinaire himself whom jogged my memory. I came across a quote of his, extracted from an interview he gave years ago. I must admit that reading it sparked one of those "Yes!" moments for me. (You know the feeling, when you read something said by someone you admire, that vindicates a particular view you hold.)

"I hated high school. I don't trust anybody who looks back on those years from 14 to 18 with any enjoyment. If you liked being a teenager, there's something wrong with you." ~ Stephen King

Yea, that about nails it, except that I hold nothing against those who DID enjoy being a teenager. I doubt Mr. King meant for all of what he said to be taken literally. The real meaning, to me at least, is that not everyone enjoyed those days. Not everyone wishes to relive or return to them. And that there are many whom simply choose not to look back.

For myself, the inner truth is that while I may never have been on the inside, I will never be on the outside looking in again either. I choose to be on the outside... looking ahead.