Monday, February 8, 2010

The Weather, Michael Jackson's Doctor, and the French Quarter

It’s early morning… quiet… snow covered ground out my window… beautiful… the sun is coming up… a golden orb beginning to peek through the trees. I turn on The Weather Channel. I’m looking for information concerning the next storm coming my way… tomorrow as a matter of fact. The Weather Channel person is standing in front of the east coast as she talks… the map continues to cycle behind her… I have no idea what the map showed for where I live. The weather channel folks do this a lot.

Between this and not being able to obtain current weather information (“Storm Stories”, “It Could Happen Tomorrow”, “When Weather Changed History”, other doom and gloom programs, MSNBC news [if I wanted that I’d change to MSNBC], and their talking, discussing, and editorializing about non-weather topics [climate, recycling, being green, going green, staying green], and the abundance of commercials), it’s a wonder they pass on any weather information at all. 

All I need (want) from The Weather Channel is… weather. But it’s been a long time since they were a 24 hour weather information channel. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve tuned in for a forecast, or much needed information on an approaching weather system, only to find myself in the middle of a program about hurricanes of the last century or the plight of Greenland’s glaciers.

In the time it has taken to write this, I have learned nothing new from The Weather Channel concerning the approaching storm. But I do know all about the weather for the upcoming Winter Olympics (three times over), the current temperature and snow cover details for the White House, a new show called “Weather Proof”, today’s forecast for Boston (too bad I live in the mountains of Virginia), and the top ten romantic drives in America. I take comfort in the fact that, before I change to a local channel to obtain the weather information I desire, The Weather Channel has brought me up-to-date on the charges being filed against Michael Jackson’s doctor, the Super Bowl score from last night, and the current temperature in the French Quarter (43 degrees).