Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Whisper of Spring

Well… not quite… not yet anyway. Almost a foot of snow remains from the last big storm (now two weeks ago) at my place in the western part of the state. When I left there last night, I drove past field after field of undisturbed snow cover, still beautiful, but now transformed into hard frozen blankets upon the ground, and I thought about the coming spring. I felt a definite twang of anticipation. I love winter, but I am ready for warmer weather.

I write this from the den of my home in Virginia Beach. It is cold here too, below freezing this morning, but the temperature is predicted to climb into the 50’s today – a definite hint of spring. I can almost imagine walking on the beach… in June… with Laura, but that would be summer. And summer is a long way off.

I can feel it though; a promise of Spring is in the air, even in the western part of the state where it hangs upon the boughs of trees as clumps of melting snow and falls to the ground as crystal drops of water, each a fleeting sparkle in the morning sun… each a whisper of the renewal to come.