Sunday, March 14, 2010

Those Pesky Little Lesson Generators

It takes a while with me. Slow to learn a lesson. Call it a late New Year’s resolution. It won’t happen again. I promise myself and bask in a newfound air of confidence. Sometimes it’s work, sometimes it’s something dumb I did, and sometimes it’s just life hitting me on the back of my head with a piece of ice thrown from the cheap seats. I’ve made it a part of my simplification process… hoping to learn those valuable lessons a little quicker, hoping to be more proactive and less reactive.

Sometimes we willingly put ourselves in positions that we should avoid, and then ponder the resulting mystery. “Why did I do that?” We shake our heads. “I should have known better,” we say. A lesson learned is a lesson learned. It’s not a total waste of time and energy though… you learn something… you do know better… you gain experience. Some lessons can only be taught by experience. What makes each of us different is where “the line” falls. The line between what we can theorize and what we need to discover through empirical methods. My line falls more toward the latter. I have learned a lesson. I am content and satisfied to simply say “Now I know”.